2.2.13

Saturday Mornings

Every Saturday since I've been 16 I've worked. I've never enjoyed these so called "weekends" like many people. Every Saturday I got out of bed and went to work. 
Until now.

Here, when I applied for my job they asked my availability was... I said no weekends, which was a pretty bold move. But I just told them honestly that I saw my husband once in the entire 2012 year. I just moved 2,500 miles away and left everything to be with him. And that means weekend. I am so blessed- they gave it to me. 

So now Saturdays are my favorite. We sleep in, and make a big breakfast. Often times we go to the library or out to coffee.


Today's adventure was crepes.

For me "taking home my work" involved borrowing fancy pans from the chef's kitchen and finding new recipes from our new cookbooks. It's pretty awesome.


^^^^ Perfection!^^^^



Best Basic Crepe Recipe

1 3/4 - 2 1/4 C Whole milk
4 Large eggs
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 1/2 C All purpose Flour
6 Tbsp Unsalted  melted butter, plus more for the pan

Start with 1 3/4 milk in blender or food processor, add eggs and salt. Blend for about 10 seconds. Add Flour and blend for about 20 more seconds. Add melted butter. Pour into a pouring bowl and let rest in the refrigerator for 5 minutes and up to 24 hours. 

Batter should be the consistency of thick and heavy cream, but not as thick as pancake batter. 

Coat your pan with butter using a napkin. Pour in more than 1/4 cup, but less than 1/2 cup of batter. It will be ready to flip when the edges are drying and curling up.

This made plenty for us. We each had three, and there were about 10 more. This is layered between parchment paper and are now resting peacefully in our freezer. They freeze well and thaw fast for an easy and delicious breakfast! This is also a great basic crepe recipe as it works well with sweet or savory toppings.

Topping ideas:

Whip cream and fruit
Nutella and bananas
Sugar and Lemon juice
Savory eggs and ham
Mixed fruit, pear, bananas, strawberries...
Mascarpone with vanilla

You can buy the book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you