7.1.10

{Gilbert}

Gilbert was truly my friend. I loved him so much. Sure, maybe he is "just" a car. But not to me.
He died early yesterday in the dark hours of morning. He died saving me. Because that's what Gil has always done. Protect me. We got in a bad accident when I was driving home from Cody's. I was driving through a green light and a guy turned right in front of me when he thought he had a green light---but really was red. Gil spun completely around and my air bags deployed (air bags smell really bad, by the way). I was so shook up, I've never been in an accident before. I am just fine, however. Nothing my chiropractor, some aleve, and massage therapy won't fix, at least. But honestly, the worst part was seeing Gilbert there, lifeless, with his bumper off and just laying alone in the middle of the intersection. I know this seems soooo dumb to love a car this much. But I can't help it. We've been good friends since I was 16. He has tread through waist deep snow every winter for me, never broken down on me, never complains when I would forget to get an oil change right away, and he always listened to me. When I was just singing at the top of my lungs, or when I was so frustrated and alone in my car was the only place for me to get it all out. Oh, how I will miss him so.
I suppose this is just something to write in my Blessing Book. That ultimately God protected me (and the other driver) through it, and gave me such a wonderful car to enjoy while we were together.

Gilbert and I when I was 16. There was even a rainbow in the background.



So of course I had to get a little something so I will always have apart of him. Because as my dad put it- he's not going to be ransacked- he's going to be an organ donor so that other Jeeps can live on!

I also have his rear view mirror. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you were OK. You know I think of you like your one of my girls. I'll keep praying for healing and protection for you. So sorry for Gilbert:( xoxo Glad/Junebug

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you