25.1.10

{Huckleberry-Orange Bread}

It's been like spring time out. Which is so strange since I live in Northern Washington state. It should be in the deepest part of winter right now. But it has been warm and lovely.... and I LOVE it. Unfortunately, today it returned to looking extremely gross outside. So I thought I would make something tasty to cheer me up. It was from some [by "some" I really mean I don't know] magazine article from 2002 that my mom had cut out. And it was soooo good- so I thought I would share it with you. Let me know what you think- did you like it, too?

2 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 C. boiling water
2 Tbs. butter, cut up
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 C. orange juice
1 C. sugar
1 C fresh berries (frozen is ok, too)
I just saw that I didn't put the measurement of sugar. So if you tried it and it didn't turn out so well... that was my fault. Sorry! Here it is now, though.
Note: The recipe calls for blueberries, but I used Huckleberries- which if they are available to you, I strongly suggest. Any kind of dark (blues/purples) berries would do. This recipe is pretty small. I would double it to make muffins.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan; set aside.
2.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together boiling water and butter until butter is melter.
3. In a medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, and orange juice. Stir in butter mixture. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, just just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until wooden toothpick is inserted near center and comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy! (It's extra tasty with butter on top- of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you